This is an extract from the 30 Day Time Management Challenge by Clare Evans
Today is the first of two tips to deal with one of the hot buttons that is a challenge for a lot of people.
- You leave things to the last minute.
- You are always ‘leaving it until tomorrow’.
- You hope it will go away, no one will notice or someone else will do it.
- You put off more important tasks for easier, less important (suddenly more interesting) tasks.
- You put off making decisions.
What makes us procrastinate? It could be for several reasons – lack of motivation, boredom, overwhelm, self-doubt, distraction, perfectionism? Usually there is an element of resistance. Understanding where the resistance is coming from will help tackle it.
Today I’d like you to think about what you put off and the impact it has. Grab a sheet of paper and write down:
- What are you putting off – at home, work, relationships, money and health?
- What is the impact?
- Write down one particular task you’ve been putting off. What’s stopping you from getting it done?
- What is the benefit of doing this task? What is the benefit of NOT doing it?
- Commit to tackling one task as part of this challenge.
Email me if you’d like a copy of my Procrastination Worksheet.
Tomorrow we’ll look at the steps you can take to deal with procrastination.
Want the other 29 days, plus extras? Get the Challenge below: